Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Few Recent Acquisitions

I first became aware of New York MC Jean Grae at the Intonation Music Festival in Chicago in 2005. She was in the DJ Tent with Will Oldham: an odd but rewarding combination. At the after party that night at the Hideout, I ended up sitting next to her and El-P, I couldn't help eavesdropping but didn't come away with much good dirt. Despite being impressed I never really pursued her music until the other day, downloading her new album with production duo Blue Sky Black Death, titled Evil Jeanius.

Don't let the awful title fool you, its quite good. While Jean Grae is solid, BSBD's production really makes it a keeper; its a crisp mix between Antipop Constortium and 90's era RZA, but with a greater attention to sonic depth and texture. While not perfect, I recommend. Check the Rhime has a copy HERE

Way old at this point, but the Deerhunter blog posted mixes by Animal Collective members Panda Bear, Geologist, and Avey Tare. Who are you to resist?
And then there is this-Guy Skornik Ils Viennent Du Futur! from 1980, posted by the invaluable Mutant Sounds.

Last night I had a dream I was doing all kinds of pharmaceutical and psychedelic drugs. After wondering around a party, I found myself in a small room that looked like it had been spray painted by illiterate 12 year olds. I was standing in the room by myself but was deep in a flash back to a concert I had seen in the very same room. At the concert I was in a equally drug induced haze. I don't remember what bands played but this album captures that specific psychic soundscape as best I can imagine. Quite possibly the strangest thing I have ever heard, an equally nightmarish and utopian pop journey only a Frenchman from 1980 could make. Dig.

No comments: